Lately I feel like this parenting business is rather difficult. I think its because there is no manual for this job so I find myself constantly second guessing every little thing I do as I realize that my children are silently watching, judging, and mimicking every move I make. This realization came last week when I was making dinner and accidentally grabbed a hot pan with my bare hand. Several obscenities flew out of my mouth, one being the not-so-pretty 'f' word. So my toddler being the Minah Bird that she is, now randomly says the 'f' word herself, usually when she's mad that she doesn't get her way. It's a bit unsettling to realize that literally every word, action, gesture, and facial expression I make is being analyzed by my children. It makes me realize what a huge responsibility Jeff and I have to give our children kind words, to build up their self esteem, and to model good morals and behaviors. Not to mention we have to show them to be loving, honest, and respectful to others and to themselves. I also find it rather challenging to manage my time properly. I worry that I spend too much time on work, too much time cleaning and organizing our home, too much time gardening, paying bills, on the phone with medical companies and all this time spent doing the necessary (but less important) things take away from the time spent with my children and husband. I have been working toward striking a balance between all the necessaries of life while dedicating significant time every day to do things my children absolutely love. To be present with them, in the moment, for a period of time each and every day so that they feel my love for them. This parenting gig is the biggest challenge in my life to date, but with all that said, I wouldn't change one second of the last (nearly) five years of this crazy, messy role of being Nicholas and Elizabeth's mommy.
Spring in the Pacific Northwest brings lots and lots of rain...so what to mommy and daughter do on a drippy, drizzly Saturday? Why, we go shopping, of course. Ella and I snapped a quick photo in the dressing room, so its a bit dark and blurry, but we had fun nonetheless. Ella is following in the family tradition and loves shopping just as much as her mommy and grandmother.
I have also been busy planning my sister-in-law, Tina's, baby shower. I love Etsy for all party planning supplies...its so easy to customize things and get exactly what you need to fit a theme. I ordered this adorable banner for the shower for baby Vivien, which will take place at the end of this month, and I think it's the perfect combination of whimsy and modern.
On Sunday evening Jeff & I snuck out of the house for a couple of hours for a date night. We hadn't been out together (just the two of us) since January so we really enjoyed a yummy dinner and a movie.
These cocktails were so pretty, but more importantly, potent and delicious.
Part of our shopping excursion last weekend involved purchasing these kelly green pants. I had been envying all those adorable colorful pants I keep seeing other stylish women wearing, so I jumped on the bandwagon and got me some of my very own. In my favorite color. I don't think my husband is up-to-speed on current fashions though. Or at least he doesn't seem to appreciate them the way I do. When he saw me wearing them today, he said, "What's up with your green pants? They're weird." Thanks, hubs, for your style input, but me and my comfy, trendy green pants and sticking together-for now, at least.
Ella is kinda obsessed with anything associated with cooking. She pulls up a kitchen chair and jumps right in stirring and mostly bossing me around. Future chef, maybe?
When my bestie was here last month she made this delicious spaghetti sauce for the kids and froze the rest. We defrosted it and ate it over noodles last night for dinner and it was so comforting to have Lyndsey's cooking, even if we did miss the woman herself.
Today the rain held off so every time the sun peeked through the clouds, Ella would run outside, pull on her boots and explore our backyard. She is starting to try to climb our smaller trees, and loves to hunt for bugs and rocks. Or just run. Boy, does she love to run.
She also requested that she wear sunglasses to shield her eyes from the bright orb we only see a few months out of the year.
Every night at bedtime, Nicholas has been requesting that I read books. And then more books. And then more books. Now, I know that the kid loves books, but I also think he likes prolonging the inevitable sleeping part of the night. Last night we read On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman and the kids were so concerned about me because as I was reading I was choked up with emotion and my kids noticed that my words started sounding funny and I had tears running down my cheeks. Ella patted me on the back and said, "You okay, Mommy?" God, I love her and the little compassionate being she is already blossoming into. If you haven't read it, run (yes, run) out and buy it to read to your kids. It's such a tender, beautiful story and one of my most favorite children's books.
Today I was in the kitchen being a domestic goddess when I heard my two munchkins in the living room giggling and being silly together. I snuck around the corner and just watched them for a couple minutes until they noticed me. They were smiling at each other and said something similar to this, Ella: "I love you THHHHHIIISSS much!" Nicholas: "Silly Babe." Ella: "Brother, you're so funny. Ha, ha, ha. I kiss you." Nicholas: "Oh, Babe. I love you."
It was all so lovely and the moment so fleeting, so being the memory keeper that I am, I ran to my camera to snap a photo. It's one that I know I will catch a glimpse of in the future and marvel at how young they both look, how precious this time was, and how lucky I am to have been given these two beautiful souls to raise.


3 comments:
This entry killed me!
a) You are the mom I judge my own mothering by...trust me, you are doing an amazing job. period.
b) I want to go shopping with you and Roo in the rain!!!
c) Tina's banner is adorable, and you are so amazing in the way you take care of people with your incredible parties! I know my baby AND bridal shower were amazing mostly because of you!
d) I love that she loves that pasta and it will be fun to make it again with you both!
e)SHUT YOUR FACE JEFF! Those pants are so cute and they look great on you (skinny leg!!!)
f)The kids loving on each other seriously has me in tears. LOVE THEM...
and you!
xx
L
Hi Jessica ! You're so right parenting is a tough job but it's the best job ever ! When I read all your posts I'm quite sure you're doing great. You're such an inspiration for me !!!!!
You're kids are so funny ! Seeing how much they love each other, seeing that they are able to express so much this love is priceless !
Take care of you ! You're an amazing mom ! Hugs from Madagascar
Domestic goddess sums it up perfectly - I love your parenting passion. Beautiful post.
Post a Comment