| Can't wait to see this movie when it comes to theatres! |
We kicked off Nicholas's 5th birthday on Saturday with a trip to the movie theatre to see The Croods. It was the first visit to the theatre for both kids and they both really enjoyed it. The movie was great: funny (we were all laughing the whole time), sentimental (I got choked up a couple times), with beautiful animation. We all highly recommend it. We also plan to take the kids to the zoo in the next couple of weeks as Nicholas requested to see the animals as well as going to see a movie. We have found that outings to celebrate Nicholas's birthdays are what he enjoys the most because we are often cooped up to avoid cold/flu/germs. Traditional birthday parties are fun, but Nicholas much prefers getting out and trying new things and exploring the world around him.
Celebrating five years with this sweet boy is simply indescribable. When Nicholas was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy at ten months we didn't know if we would ever get to celebrate his fifth birthday with him. We realize how truly blessed we are and the fact that Nicholas has outlived his original prognosis by three years is simply amazing! Nicholas truly is a living, breathing miracle. He's our own personal Heaven-on-Earth. His constant joyful spirit, happy attitude, and love for everyone is a constant reminder of how lucky we are to call him our son.
Ella was particularly excited to celebrate with Nicholas on his special day. She said, "It's brother's birthday. Happy birthday, brother," numerous times yesterday. I just love to see the adorable bond between those two. It makes my heart swell with pride and appreciation for these two precious kids.
Around mid-day Nicholas's preschool teacher, Pam, came for a lesson. Nicholas created these beautiful flowers with watercolor paint, and enjoyed making a spring caterpillar with patterning practice. I proudly displayed both art pieces on our fridge and Nicholas beamed when he saw his art hanging for everyone to see.
Later in the day my parents came over for a pizza dinner and Nicholas enjoyed opening his gifts. Ella really wanted to help Nicholas open his presents and being the eager-to-please child that he is, happily let her do most of the unwrapping.
Nicholas got cute pajamas, clothes, balls, and a car from Gramme and Grandpa.
And he got a digger, a construction book, a shirt, a DVD, and activity books from us.
He sat up with daddy for most of the present opening and was happy to rest a little after it was over.
Then he got to blow out five birthday candles on his yummy cake. Funny story...on Sunday, the day before his birthday, I was at church for the annual Pentecost fair and there was a cake raffle. I put my name in the drawing thinking that if I won a cake we could eat it for Nicholas's birthday. Sure enough, anything I do in the name of Nicholas brings good luck and I won a cake!
Nicholas blew out all five of his candles (with a little help from daddy & Ella) and he made a wish.
Ella and I went on a mission (when Jeff arrived home from work) and were so excited to surprise Nicholas with the 25 balloons we bought him. We quietly brought the balloons into the house...
and filled up his ceiling with the colorful balloons.
After blowing out his birthday candles, Jeff carried Nicholas into his room and he was so happy and surprised to see all the balloons!
He laid on his bed and said, "Wow! There are so many balloons!"
Then he asked to hold a few and enjoyed pulling down on them and watching them bounce in the air.
I love this photo...everyone is looking at the camera...except Nicholas, he couldn't take his eyes off his ceiling of balloons!
Happy 5th birthday, sweet boy. We all love you so much and enjoyed celebrating this milestone birthday, this very special day with you!


1 comments:
wouah already five years ! Happy birthday sweet Nicholas ! I'm so happy to see your shining eyes before blowing your candle ! May god bless you now and always ! Lots of love from Madagascar
Post a Comment