Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Advent Begins {Decking the Halls}





Our new family tradition






Our stocking hang a little too close to the fire when hanging from the mantle, so this spot is much less dangerous


I spent the majority of Thanksgiving weekend (the beginning of Advent) decking the halls with our Christmas decorations. Typically it only takes me a day to get everything out and placed where I want it, but this year the decorating took three days. I think it was because I was so indecisive in what I wanted to display. In years past, our living and dining room seems cluttered with Christmas decor, so this year I spent some time discerning what should be displayed and what can stay in boxes. I wanted a more simple feel this year and I think I achieved it with fresh floral: paper whites, eucalyptus, and amaryllis; the nativity front and center, and just small touches of Christmas here and there. 

We also added an Elf on the Shelf to our Advent tradition this year. Yesterday (December 1st) our youngest was pretty naughty, mischievous, and sneaky so I thought it was time to introduce Santa's elfin helper to keep naughty behavior in check and to promote the nice behavior we so appreciate. Sugarplum joined us today on the second day of Advent and I am happy to report that Ella's behavior has been stellar all day. I am sure Sugarplum will bring treats for the kids tomorrow for being good for mommy, especially since I had work to complete this afternoon. 

Wishing you a happy Advent season!

0 comments: