Monday, May 21, 2012

Nicholas Turns 4!!

 Yesterday at 8:22 a.m. our sweet little boy turned four years-old!!! I can hardly believe he is four already as I can vividly remember his birth, the doctor laying him on my chest, and crying tears of utter joy, like it was only yesterday. The past four years have literally zoomed by and to be able to celebrate another milestone birthday with Nicholas is amazing. 
 His birthday plans changed somewhat as we had rain all morning after a good solid week with nothing but sunshine. Nicholas wanted to go on the boat, but seeing that it was too rainy, we explained that we would have to stay home and would take him on the boat on the next sunny day. Being the good-natured child that he is, he just smiled and said, "Okay." 
 Boy, was he pleased when Jeff brought him a huge bunch of balloons before his party. He kept saying, "I love balloons." We think the balloons made up for the fact that he didn't get to go on the boat. 
 Later in the afternoon we had a small family gathering with cupcakes and ice-cream sundaes and Nicholas even agreed to try a bit of vanilla ice-cream. We sang happy birthday to him and he blew out his 4 candle all by himself. 
 Then it was gift time and Nicholas was very spoiled. He got some new DVDs, lots of adorable clothes for summer, a couple of toy boats, toy cars, a book, some markers, and a rubbery dinosaur. 






 Ella liked helping her brother open his gift from Mason & Bella. 


 Then she became more interested in the neighbor's dog, Fiona. Ella & Fiona are good friends. She loves her and speaks to her in barks and shrieks. 


 She also loves her Auntie Tina

Nicholas has a wonderful day and went to bed yesterday feeling very blessed and very loved. I guess turning four means that Nicholas talks non-stop. All day yesterday and today he has been talking up a storm, only quiet when he is absorbed in one of his favorite cartoons. He says all kinds of things now, including:

"What is that?"

"Where did you go?"

"I love you, Mom (Dada) (Babe)." 
(This melts my heart).

"Thank you, Mom (Dad)." 
(This melts my heart too, there is nothing like a polite child).

"Where are we going?"

"Roll me, Mom!"

"I want to play!"

"I love __________." 
(Balloons, dogs, cars, boat, blanket, bink, friend, school, pretty much anything. He is so full of love).

"Hi. How are you?"

It is really amazing to hear him talk more and realize that perfect strangers understand what he is saying. 

He also has had more movement in the last few months: he can roll himself from his back to his side, and his hand movements have significantly increased. In fact, his OT is thrilled with his hand and finger movement!

Celebrating four years with Nicholas is really quite amazing. We do not take one day for granted and feel abundantly blessed that Nicholas was able to celebrate another year with us!! We love you with all our heart, sweet boy!!

3 comments:

Paula said...

Hi Jessica,

Sorry I haven't written lately--but I have been reading all your posts. First of all, a very happy belated birthday to you and a very happy 4th birthday to Nicholas! I thought of Nicholas yesterday and said a special prayer for him. He has grown into such a big boy and looks so healthy and strong. I'm so glad to read that things are going well. "I love you Mom" melts my heart too. Thank you for sharing your posts. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you!

Jacqui said...

What a joy to celebrate such a momentous occasion!!!! What a HAPPY birthday it was based on all the pictures! Plus, the video of Nicholas blowing out his candle was awesome to see! All those people rooting him on---how wonderful! Thank you for sharing such a precious and beautiful day with your friends and followers----they all made me so happy I was sitting here crying! Love happy days and happy updates from such a wonderful family and precious handsome boy like Nicholas!!! ♥

Mia said...

I couldn't find better words than Jacqui but I just wanted to stop by to send hugs and kisses to your super hero ;)

He had already won so many battles ! You can really be proud of him ! I love all these progess he has achieved ! (more talking, more movement !!!) Go, go sweet Nicholas !