Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekend Retreat

Our Lady's Retreat Center in Stevenson, Washington
Views from the back deck: the gorge, the Bridge of the Gods, and surrounding mountains

A shrine of the Virgin Mother on the propertyA weather vane I found on the 20 acre property
The confirmation teens during the Friday night scavenger huntElla & me on our walk around the property on Saturday afternoon Our bedroom
I work part-time as a Pastoral Assistant for a local Catholic parish. Part of my job is teaching confirmation classes for teens. Every year I plan a weekend retreat for those teens that begins Friday evening and ends on Sunday with mass. This year we went to a beautiful retreat center not too far from where I live and had a wonderful weekend growing in our love for Christ. Because we have such an understanding, kind priest at our parish, I am able to not only bring Ella to work with me during the week, but she was also able to attend this weekend retreat with me as well.

There were eight other adult volunteers there, four teens who have already been confirmed who volunteered to help, and twenty teens who will confirmed in June which made for a very full house. With the spacious living arrangements, though, it really didn't seem like that many people at all. The teens listened to witness talks, participated in a scavenger hunt, went to reconciliation, and played card games and got to know each other better in their free time. We enjoyed delicious food all weekend prepared by a husband/wife team who always kept our bellies full.

It was so nice to get away and relax a bit for a couple of days, but I did miss my two guys so much! When I got home on Sunday afternoon I covered Nicholas and Jeff with kisses, spent lots of time playing with Nicholas, and even snuck in a quick nap. It was a great weekend...now time to get un-packed!

2 comments:

Darren and Jody said...

Thank you so much for your comment! Just by you saying that makes me realize I did the right thing by posting that. You would be that strong! You have such a cute family.
Love Jody

Paula said...

I just love your faith! It sounds like you had a great time, and I'm sure the teens did too. I really like the photo of you and Ella smiling at each other. Not fair--you guys don't have any snow!!! My continued prayers for Nicholas. XOXOX