mom, dad, I want ball, okay, fish, no, yeah, sis, tall, big, blue, uh-oh, red, go...I want to go, yellow, play, help, hi, night, bye, play with me, ow, one, two, three, hot dog, roll, baby, more, car...I want car, woo-hoo, tub, the end, Amen, that's all, get out, I need bink, more, la la la, we
Apparently Nicholas has a much bigger vocabulary than I thought! He said about forty different words and phrases in a five hour period. He also repeated prompts from his dad and me and some of his cartoons. He also sang his ABC's and some other songs with me during bath time and on our walk. I love hearing his sweet voice and am amazed at how much he talks now that he is three. It is also so nice that other people can understand what he is saying and can respond to him or get him what he wants. I am so grateful that Nicholas has the ability to speak because not all children with SMA are able to talk.
We definitely do not take his language for granted and love all his new words!


3 comments:
I hadn't realized speach was a limited ability with SMA children. So happy for you that your little guy has all those words and phrases to communicate. Will he continue to pick up new words and phrases as he gets older I wonder?
Good job, Nicholas! What a great vocabulary. I especially love "Amen" (as I remember from a past post). "Hot dog" is cute too. The fact that he can sing his ABC's is wonderful. My almost four-year-old can't get past C! Keep up the great work, Nicholas--I'm sure Mommy has something to do with your success :)
Hanukkah, yes, he is lucky to be able to talk...many SMA kids cannot as their bodies get weaker and weaker over time. Also, lots of kids are trached which makes speaking very difficult as the tube is in their wind pipe. Hopefully Nicholas will keep his speech for a long time!
Paula, he cannot sing all of his ABCs...he sings the first part really well and the last part, but the middle, not so much :)
Post a Comment