Most of the time I'm fine. Most of the time I focus on all of the positive things in my life: our sweet son, my wonderful husband, amazing parents, good friends, a home, etc. But sometimes the seriousness of Nicholas' illness completely overwhelms me and I just...feel...sad.
I look at other kids in our neighborhood running through sprinklers on hot summer days and am sad that Nicholas may never do that. I see babies taking first steps on chubby little legs and am I sad that our baby boy never achieved that milestone. I look at Nicholas's angelic little face and wonder how long I get to stare into those beautiful hazel eyes of his. Five months? Five years? Thirty-five years? And no matter how long it will never be long enough.
The one thing that completely overwhelms me and makes me feel completely helpless is when I read comments on the Petition to Cure SMA from parents/loved ones/friends/family members who have lost a child to SMA. "How do they get through it?" I think. "How in the world do they do it?" My hearts breaks for each and every loss and I spend several minutes reading each comment and heaving heavy hard sobs, my eyes blurred with hot tears. Then my thoughts wander to my own strength and I wonder if I can do it, or if I will even have to.
I pray every single day without fail for a cure for our son and the many other children who are affected by Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I want him to stay as healthy as he is now for as long as possible so that one day in the very near future his neurologist will call us and say, "Come in right away! Researchers have approved a cure for children with SMA, come in to our hospital and get Nicholas the treatment that will save his life!" That day will be the best day. I will be happy. I won't have to constantly worry about losing my child. I won't feel this sadness anymore. My little boy will be okay. The wishes and dreams his daddy and I had for him before he entered this world will come true. That is my perfect ending.
I look at other kids in our neighborhood running through sprinklers on hot summer days and am sad that Nicholas may never do that. I see babies taking first steps on chubby little legs and am I sad that our baby boy never achieved that milestone. I look at Nicholas's angelic little face and wonder how long I get to stare into those beautiful hazel eyes of his. Five months? Five years? Thirty-five years? And no matter how long it will never be long enough.
The one thing that completely overwhelms me and makes me feel completely helpless is when I read comments on the Petition to Cure SMA from parents/loved ones/friends/family members who have lost a child to SMA. "How do they get through it?" I think. "How in the world do they do it?" My hearts breaks for each and every loss and I spend several minutes reading each comment and heaving heavy hard sobs, my eyes blurred with hot tears. Then my thoughts wander to my own strength and I wonder if I can do it, or if I will even have to.
I pray every single day without fail for a cure for our son and the many other children who are affected by Spinal Muscular Atrophy. I want him to stay as healthy as he is now for as long as possible so that one day in the very near future his neurologist will call us and say, "Come in right away! Researchers have approved a cure for children with SMA, come in to our hospital and get Nicholas the treatment that will save his life!" That day will be the best day. I will be happy. I won't have to constantly worry about losing my child. I won't feel this sadness anymore. My little boy will be okay. The wishes and dreams his daddy and I had for him before he entered this world will come true. That is my perfect ending.


12 comments:
big hugs to you my dear. know that i think about you guys every day and love you dearly. p.s. i think its time for some new photos too. that will surely cheer you up xoxoxo
Jessica, it is ok to feel sad. I hope you know that. Even though you are a strong woman and are being an awesome advocate for your adorable son and you obviously have tons of love and support from family and friends....but you are still a mommy who has a big challenge...and its ok to feel sad. We pray often for you and your family and i know many others do, too. For comfort and strength for your family-and of course for a cure. Its good that you are able to most of the time focus on the postitive. I wish I had something to say to make you feel better or to make this easier on you and your son and your family. But I guess just know that you have a lot of support out there. :)
I know exactly how you feel. I don't know if we'll ever get used to it or fully accept it or anything else. I will say that it sometimes seems like I take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. I have good days and bad days. Thank heavens for internet, SMA Space, and Facebook, for they are the sources for my role models and support groups. Give Nicholas tons of kisses from us all.
Jessica, your post made me tear up. I can't say I know what you mean, what you're going through, because I don't. However, as a mom, I feel your sadness. I pray for Nicholas, you and your family, for a cure. Hopefully I will see you soon.
As I read your post I had tears rolling down my face. I am a Mom of two and can't imagine what you are going through. You do an incredible job of focusing on the positive, I see that throughout your blog all the time, and you put Nicholas' best interests in all you do. That being said, as a Mom we have so many hopes and dreams and although you still have so many for Nicholas you have had to change the way you think and live life and that is NOT easy. The milestones you mentioned are something we all look forward to and having to shift your thinking to other milestones, although exciting, I'm sure is incredibly hard some days. Although I don't know you, I can tell you are a very strong wife, mom and woman and you will make it through this. A while ago someone wrote to Kristen something that really stuck with me. She said that strength isn't the ability to stay on your feet all the time, it is to be able to rise back up after falling to your knees and being overwhelmed with emotion. You need time to adjust to a new life, a new way of thinking and with that will come sadness, but it is getting back up and putting one foot in front of the other that is the key-and you do that everyday for your family and you should be SO proud of that! We are praying for you all, and of course for a cure for SMA and will continue to do so until that day comes!!
Good luck through the tough times and know there are so many people following your journey and sending you love and prayers along the way.
Em
Big hugs for you girl! Big hugs!!
To a degree, I know what you are going through. Although they are different diseases with different issues, the long term result seems to be the same. And that thought cripples me at times.
During these times I remember that we are led to pray "Give us TODAY our daily bread...". Give us the strength to get through today...not give us the strength to get through tomorrow or next year or 5 years from now. We will be given the grace to deal with those hardships then...not today. But even in knowing that truth, some days are still hard to get through.
Praying for you, my friend. Sometimes this life is so tough.
i wish i had something to say to make you feel better, but i don't. i feel all those things that you wrote, and it is not fair. of course, life is not fair..we know this, but it is especially heinous when it involves our sweet babies. Hugs mama! I tell myself every day to do everything i can to keep him as healthy as possible so that when the cure comes, he will be in good enough shape to get some type of benefit from it... honestly Jessica, i think our boys will still be here when the cure/treatment comes. taysen is also a weak type 2. biggest hugs for you and Nicholas tonight.
Whatever We Imagine
by James Ingram
Don't be afraid
I can meet you halfway
We can't always know
Where the road ends up
But with some luck I know we can go
Whereever we imagine
Why should we wait
Later on may be too late
'Cause where can we run
When you see there's half a chance
that we might really become
Whatever we imagine
And I imagine you and me
Just taking shots at what we see
And if we fall
We'll shake away the dust
And just outlast them all
You ought to see
All your heroes in me
But if we get wise
We can break the walls we make
And you can see in my eyes
Whatever we imagine
And I imagine you and me
Just taking shots at what we se
So let the walls go down
And we can try it again
'Cause nobody can stop us now
Don't be afraid
'Cause I'll meet you halfway
You're not far behind
If we climb this hill
I know there's still a chance we can find
Whatever we imagine in our minds.
Jess,
I love you and the family you have made, the tears you've cried the times we've died
laughing
and each day when the sun sets and I'm too tierd to love
I want to love you, to be a friend to you, be there for you and
celebrate
life.
Always
Lyndsey
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of these kind supportive words. These comments are what get me through those rough, tough days when the sadness consumes me. I al so blessed to have such amazing friends, some of whom I have known for a long time, some of whom I have only known as short while, and some of whom I have never met, but feel like we have been lifelong friends. Thank you dearly for reading our blog and loving our Nicholas.
A little late here to comment Jess, sorry.
I think it's just fine for you to have sad days. I'd be surprised to hear that you didn't. Any time you need to have a sad day, you can have a sad day at me. I'll listen to you.
Huge hugs to you and sweet baby.
PS. I have that swing taken down, and I'm coming into town tomorrow. So it if you've got a mystery baby swing on your porch it's divine intervention. ;)
I've been reading some healing thoughts from the power of attraction in the "Secret" and how "likeness attracts like"...it has some cheesy words that I used on vacay and my family thought I was crazy...but I know that you have your optimism and it attracts a lot of hope I believe. But along with the sad is a WHOLE lot of COMPASSION you have. I LOVE your family for that. I think that is what inspires you to be the advocate and fighter you are and the fighter lil man big BOY that Nic is. I think the people that find hope despite the loss have a lot of ways they find hope.
Thank you for sharing your fears and sadness. I would encourage you that it seems like you are doing all the right things and wish you strength to ride the waves.
I find hope that despite the bad things that happen to good people- God never wanted for that, even when I've cursed God, I still believe good things are really what is meant to be.
Post a Comment