Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Day of Firsts

Today Nicholas had a lot of first-time experiences. Yesterday we had dinner at Jeff's grandparents' house and his Aunt Stacy gave Nicholas a mylar balloon. Now he has always loved playing with balloons, but today was the first time he actually hit the thing with some force! So much force that he toppled over after I took this photo.

A few weeks ago I was driving by Hathaway Elementary School's park and noticed these great swings. I thought that Nicholas would love them and I was right! He sat perfectly upright in this one and enjoyed me pushing him on the swing, unless I pushed too hard and then he fussed, so it was little tiny pushes that he liked best.


As you can see from the previous photo, Nicholas had a hard time keeping his eyes open to take a picture because the sun was just so bright, and mama forgot his sunglasses, so we tried mine, but, unfortunately they were slightly too big!



After a ride on the swings we went through the Dairy Queen drive-thru to get Nicholas a blizzard. (For those of you wondering...yes I made it through the drive-thru, car unscathed). Anyway, I bought Nicholas an Oreo Blizzard and got myself some vanilla soft serve that I topped with fresh raspberries when we got home. As I was feeding Nicholas his heavenly deliciousness, I read the Blizzard cup that said that Dairy Queen has donated over 77 million dollars to children's hospitals! Way to go, DQ!

Here he is enjoying his very first Blizzard...I know he was dying to say, "Yummy, thanks mama!" And of course he couldn't finish all of it before nap time, so Jeff got to enjoy the remaining yummy-ness when he got home from a long, hot day of work.



3 comments:

Themorrisbunch said...

Yay! I'm loving all these "firsts" with Nicholas!
LOVE the swing picture!
My boys have always loved mylar balloons, especially after they have deflated some. And they don't pop and pose a choking hazard either! :)

Anonymous said...

What a WONDERFUL day mama!!! I love seeing him in that little swig and, of course, getting some DQ goodness! ( Glad to see the Pathfinder was not bludgeoned like the Celebrity hahah)

Emma said...

What an awesome day! It seems like this day was a wonderful, probably healing day, with your little boy. It is amazing how we are given days like this, ones filled with wonderous little gifts, after a tough day isn't it? I know you needed a joyful day and I am glad to see everyone's prayers were answered, even in such a 'small' way-DQ icecream always makes me smile that is for sure! Thanks for sharing all your 'firsts', I loved the pics, especially the swing pics. Hope today is another one filled with smiles and joy! Em