August is Spinal Muscular Atrophy awareness month so I will be sharing interesting articles & facts about SMA on our blog. I also plan to feature different kids with SMA this month to share each child's individual story about life with SMA. This first article is full of good information about who is at risk for being a carrier of the SMA gene: Who is at Risk? Please note that neither Jeff's family nor mine had any past history of Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
*If you have a child with SMA and would like his or her story featured on our blog, please leave me a comment below. Thanks!


3 comments:
I love this sweet photo of Nicholas. Looking at his sweet, innocent face brings tears to my eyes knowing that he suffers from a terrible illness. Nicholas continues to touch my heart and I continue to pray for him. What a great idea to dedicate awareness to SMA on your blog this month. I am very interested in learning more about this ugly illness. Bravo to you, Jessica, for being so strong! Hugs!!!
Thank you so much for sharing this month! I read the article about who is at risk, I can't believe it's not screened for like everything else is for a pregnant woman. We get tested for Cystic Fibrosis, and STDs (regardless of history!), but not this, I hope someone out there is fighting to have that changed. Keep on informing people, it helps:)
I agree, Mel. SMA should be routinely screened for especially since it's the number one genetic killer of children under two. For me, it was one that was optional but we opted out of all those as I am sure most people do.
Post a Comment