Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Showered With Love

Today one of my former students and her family came over to visit. I had not seen the Matous family since Nicholas was a baby, over three years ago. Sarah was in my first grade class several years ago and to see her as a grown-up sixth grader made me realize how quickly times passes. Nicholas and Ella loved playing with all three kids which gave Jessica and I lots of time to chat. Jessica shared with me that several years when she was a nurse, one of her favorite patients was a little boy named Jack who also had SMA. She was happy to finally get to meet Nicholas after hearing so much about him via facebook. During the five years I taught elementary school, I met some pretty amazing families. Families who spread love and kindness to all those they meet. The Matous' are one of those families.
Jessica had read my post on facebook a few weeks ago when I asked for prayers for Nicholas. The next night, she went to an art auction with a friend and the artist asked all the people that were there to write down one wish. Jessica wrote a wish for Nicholas, asking for him to be well and breathe easy. The announcers drew the individual wishes out of a hat and Jessica's wish was drawn first. She opted to have her wish read aloud and all of the people there said a prayer for Nicholas. She then was able to choose a prize and chose this beautiful, inspirational quote for us:
It says: "You made it beautifully through yesterday, you are making it bravely through today, and you will make it undoubtedly through tomorrow. You will."

I am so humbled by the Matous family's generosity of spirit. I get emotional just thinking about that room full of strangers silently saying a prayer for my son, a little boy they have never met. I am in awe of such small acts of kindness and they mean the world to us. Thank you, Matous Family, for thinking of all of us, especially our sweet Nicholas. God bless you!

2 comments:

Amber said...

What a sweet gesture. And such a sweet picture!! This post made me cry. Your family has been so influential!!

Paula said...

Another beautiful post! There are such wonderful people in this world and I'm so glad you are surrounded by so many!