Friday, April 2, 2010

SMA Fundraiser

Several weeks ago, friends of ours from high school, Jake & Carrie Collins, contacted us and asked if we were interested in a fundraiser to benefit SMA. We were thrilled and excited and needless to say, we said yes! Jake Collins volunteers for the local East County Fire and Rescue and every year they hold some type of fundraiser to benefit their organization. This year, however, they decided to donate half of the money raised to a charitable organization and they asked which SMA organization I was interested in supporting. I immediately answered that I wanted to help the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation. The Strong's are amazing parents to a 2-year-old girl, Gwendolyn, who is battling SMA type 1. We regularly correspond via email and Facebook and I read their blog almost everyday. Their strength and determination to end this awful disease is a true inspiration to us, and I couldn't think of a charity more deserving of this money. So...if you live in the Camas/Washougal/Vancouver/Portland area and love to play poker, here are the details of the upcoming fundraiser on Sunday, May 23rd:


  • What: The East County Fire & Rescue Volunteer Firefighters Association presents a Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tournament Fundraiser, half of the proceeds from this event will benefit the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation.
  • Where: The Camas Moose Lodge. Food and beverages will be served.
  • When: Sunday, May 23rd at 3:30 p.m.
  • The Tournament: $20 Minimum Buy-in: 10,000 chips. Early Registration Bonus: 2,000 additional chips. Add on at break: 5,000 chips (optional)
  • How to Register: The field will be limited to the first 150 players so register now. Register by May14th for your Early Registration Bonus.You can also register the day of the tournament if there is still room. Register by e-mail only please: ecfrpokertourney@yahoo.com

Jeff and I love a good game of poker, so we will both be there to support the ECFR and the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation. If you want to support a great cause, have some fun, and hopefully win some money...sign up to play. It's sure to be a good time!

1 comments:

Kristen said...

Awesome idea! Way to go!