Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mischievous Munchkin




Yesterday Ella got into the pantry and dumped an entire box of Cheerios on the kitchen floor. I couldn't help but laugh and told her with a smile on my face that she needed to eat all of the Cheerios off the floor. She made a good effort munching and crunching the little O's and when her tummy was full, she grabbed the empty box and started stuffing the remaining Cheerios back inside. I tried to help her by vacuuming up the Cheerios, but this must of made her mad because she started crying immediately. Apparently dozens and dozens of Cheerios in ones tummy was not quite enough.



Ella has also proven to be quite the escape artist. Anytime the front door is unlocked, she very carefully and quietly opens the door and makes a break for the outdoors. A few evenings ago as I was driving to work, Jeff called me and asked that I lock the door behind me when I leave for work. He explained that he went to the bathroom and then was helping Nicholas when he realized that he didn't know where Ella was. He walked through the house calling her name and finally saw that the front door was wide open and Ella was staring at him through the glass (screen) door. He picked her up and her socks were soaking wet which made him think she had walked around in the grass in the front yard. She had only been outside for a minute or two but Jeff was freaked out, and rightly so. Thankfully we don't live on a busy street, I would guess a total of ten cars drive down our street on any given day, but from now on we will be keeping the front door locked at all times.


Ella also has ninja skills in escaping from her high chair even when she is strapped in. This morning I went to give Nicholas his morning treatment and left Ella strapped in her high chair after she had finished breakfast. By the time I came back she had wiggled her way out of the securely tightened straps and was standing on the seat getting ready to climb onto the tray. Several weeks ago when she did this, I tightened the straps as tight as they could comfortably fit and lowered her high chair so it is not too far off the ground. I assumed this would keep her safe and secure, but now I know never to question our mini Houdini.

Oh, the joys of parenting a fun-loving toddler. To keep myself sane, I have started reading Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood, it has been helpful in giving tips on how to be patient and how to give choices to get children to make healthy ones that distract from misbehavior. It is very helpful book, but Ella is definitely one to keep both eyes on!

Disclaimer: The last three pictures were re-enactment photos, which probably completely reinforced her misbehavior, but were a must for her scrapbook. Bad, bad mommy.

1 comments:

Mia said...

She really reminds my sweet Maya ! I love the first photo, you can see in her eyes that she knows that she had done something "wrong" !
Her hair is long now, she's no longer a baby !
Lots of love, overseas ;)