Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Comfort


Every morning when Nicholas wakes up we do what we call his morning treatment. His treatment consists of breaths from his cough assist machine (which helps him cough up any loose mucus that accumulated during the night) and his suction machine which helps to clear out that mucus.

Some mornings Ella is awake before Nicholas so she joins me for his treatments. Yesterday morning this was the case and I laid her on Nicholas's bed next to him. She always watches what I do and likes he hum of the machines. Yesterday, however, she seemed to be aware of how distressing the whole process is for Nicholas. She rolled on her side and looked at him and then grabbed for his hand. She held it tucked right against her cheek until his whole treatment was through. That simple gesture of comfort brought a tear to my eye. I can already see that she is such a loving sister, and I could not ask for a better sibling for our son.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

That is so sweet!! They are so connected, it's amazing!

Sky said...

ah that is just too cute!

Paula said...

Absolutely adorable. A memory to treasure forever!

Whit, Lindsey, Jonas, and Maggie said...

Adorable and very touching!! How I wish that Jonas were hear to hold Maggie's hand now that it's her turn to learn the ropes. She sure loved to be by him when he did his. Your children are adorable!