For that last couple months we have been putting together a school plan for Nicholas. He turns the big ~THREE~ on Friday which means that he is eligible for pre-school in the fall. It also means that he graduates from the Early Intervention Program (EIP). I know he will be so sad to have to say good-bye to the wonderful therapists and teachers from the EIP, especially his Julie, who has become like family to us.
Jeff and I have had several conversations concerning schooling for Nicholas. We discussed sending him to public school, homeschooling, or no schooling at all. We discussed his medical issues, transportation, and readiness. He also thought about his ability to socialize and interact with other children his own age. After weeks and weeks of discussion between the two of us, we finally came up with a plan that we think will suit all of Nicholas's needs.
We will not be sending Nicholas to public school, but he will still receive services from our local school district. His therapists (physical, occupational, speech) will all come to our home and provide services the same way the EIP did. He will see his occupational therapist once a week, his physical and speech therapist every two weeks. He will use a web-cam from home to participate in circle time and free time, which is the perfect way for Nicholas to get in some social time without being bombarded by nasty germs. I will also be working closely with his teacher to create lessons that we can do together at home to help him meet his Individulized Educaton Plan (IEP) goals.
We also enrolled Nicholas in our parish's Sunday School program, which we call Religious Education. That will give him the opportunity to physically interact with his peers once per week and get to know some kids his own age outside of the classroom web-cam situation. It will also help him to better understand our faith and learn more about Jesus, although I think they are already good friends.
We are super excited to start this schooling program we've created for our little guy this fall. I think he is going to absolutely love every part of it!
skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Donate to Nicholas' Memorial Fund
Information about Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
Click HERE to learn about Spinal Muscular Atrophy.
About Me
- Jessica
- Washington, United States
- We are the Gustafsons: Daddy Jeff, Mommy Jessica, Big Brother Nicholas and Little Sister Elizabeth. We started our blog in 2008 when our son was born as a way to document our life. Jeff and I feel so blessed to be parents to two amazing kids. Our oldest, Nicholas, was diagnosed with a terminal condition called Spinal Muscular Atrophy. We are praying for a cure for Nicholas and all children who suffer from this physically limiting diagnosis. We are also parents to a little girl who who brings us sunshine and laughter everyday. We treasure every moment with our sweet kiddos. Please let us know you visited our blog by leaving us comment. May God bless you today and always.
Popular Posts
-
Many people have been asking us questions about how Nicholas is doing and where he is in terms of SMA right now, so I thought I would share...
-
It is with profound sadness and utter disbelief that I write this blog entry... Nicholas, the light of our world and joy of our hearts, wa...
-
Nicholas Alan Gustafson May 20, 2008-February 28, 2015 Forever 6 years-old 6 years, 9 months, 1 week, and 4 days was the amount...
-
Yesterday I had to save my child's life. It was the most scary thing I have ever had to do. I am still numb with shock and can cry at th...
-
Oh, how I wish we lived somewhere over the rainbow and far away from the PICU. Nicholas has RSV and was taken to the hospital by ambulance ...
-
We have been going to Shriner's weekly this past month to give Nicholas more practice on the power chair . Since he will be turning two...
-
Any mother will tell you she worries about her children, but the worries of a mother who has a child with a terminal illness are profound . ...
-
Most of the time I'm fine. Most of the time I focus on all of the positive things in my life: our sweet son, my wonderful husband, amaz...
-
I cannot ignore it anymore. I have tried everyday for the past year and a half to ignore it-the fact that my child will most likely leave th...
-
On Thursday, January 21st, I took a test that would change our lives forever. I had been feeling more tired than usual, napping in the after...
Falling In Love
Our Wedding Day
Brother & Sister Love
Motherhood
Nicholas's Story
Click HERE to read Nicholas's story from birth to his diagnosis with SMA at 10 months-old.
All About Nicholas
sweet. easy-going. smiley. happy. fighter. playful. courageous. loving. joyful. amazing. gift. wise. strong. handsome. kind. brave. Heaven-sent.
Nicholas's Birthday
Nicholas at 1 Year
Nicholas at 2 Years
Nicholas at 3 Years
Nicholas at 4 Years
Nicholas at 5 Years
Nicholas at 6 Years
All About Ella
loving. cuddly. toddler. curious. explorer. walker. silly. happy. sleeper. blessing. fearless. adventurous. kisser. sassy. dancing queen. spirited.
Ity Bitty Baby Ella
Ella at 1 Year
Ella at 2 Years
Ella at 3 Years
Ella at 4 Years
Ella at 5 Years
Blog Archive
Followers
Friends
Other Kiddos With SMA
Blogs We Like To Read
Visitors
Translate
Powered by Blogger.


1 comments:
That sounds awesome! What a well thought out plan. I bet he will enjoy it all. You guys are such great parents!
Post a Comment