Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Vote for Alan Hargrave

My dad, Alan Hargrave, is running for re-election as a port commissioner for Camas/Washougal. He has served as commissioner for 12 years and has a wealth of experience and knowledge in this position. Yesterday, the local Columbian newspaper endorsed him for commissioner. Here's what they wrote:

In Our View, Oct. 13: Washougal Choices
Voters face crucial decisions in races for port commissioners and mayor
Tuesday, October 13 1:00 a.m.

Alan Hargrave has learned a lot about RiverWalk. He had perfect view as the Port of Camas-Washougal’s $350 million riverfront project collapsed in 2007 amid accusations about denying public participation and inadequate vetting of developers.As a port commissioner for a dozen years, Hargrave was immersed in RiverWalk, which to this day remains the sorest subject among residents in the southeast corner of Clark County. "We made mistakes, and we learned from it," the genuinely remorseful Hargrave told The Columbian’s editorial board recently. "We should have written a more precise option agreement with developers, we should’ve included the public more in the process and we should have more thoroughly researched other parties in the agreement."Hargrave has earned The Columbian’s endorsement for re-election for several reasons. First, he knows what went wrong with RiverWalk and understands how to proceed properly with economic development matters. That knowledge comes in part from his former service on the board of the Columbia River Economic Development Council. Also, unlike port commissioner Jim Carroll, who was ousted by voters in the Aug. 18 primary, Hargrave has learned lessons from RiverWalk. His corrective efforts have been strong and his regret is sincere. Prior to RiverWalk Hargrave had wide acceptance among voters for reasons that persist today: his knowledge of the community and his experience as a local businessman.Finally, Hargrave simply is the best candidate in the Nov. 3 election (ballots will be mailed this week). Bill Macrae-Smith is giving Hargrave a tough battle in the campaign because of RiverWalk and because Macrae-Smith is a former port commissioner. But he has not served on the commission in more than two decades. He does not match Hargrave’s savvy on all port issues, and he does not match the incumbent’s drive and determination.

My dad has been a member of this community for his entire life. He strives to make a positive impact on our small town. On a more personal note, he is the most hard-working person I know. He's honest, straightforward, and kind. He is charitable both with friends and family members and in the community. He values his position as port commissioner and always keeps the best interest of the people in mind when making decisions. In short, he's the best candidate for the job!

As his daughter and a Washougal voter, I encourage you all to vote for my dad, Alan Hargrave, on November 3rd!

2 comments:

Themorrisbunch said...

Oh I'm so glad you did a post on your dad! I just love coming into town and seeing your dad's name on posters! It makes me want to take a picture and blog about the values and benefits of a small town. I don't think I can vote for your dad not being a resident, but if I could I wouldn't even have to read his qualifications. I already know he's a good man who has raised and leads a good family. :)
Go Mr. Hargrave!!

Misti and Eric said...

We will be voting for him! :) What a sweet daughter you are to give him a great post on your blog!